Thursday, July 18, 2013

How to Cast on Stitches for Knitting : Learn to Knit Series - Video 1




Do you want to learn to knit? Knitting is not just for grandmothers anymore! Knitting is a hip art form of expression through our love of fiber, and it has been on the rise for about ten years in the younger generations. I learned to knit about five years ago, and I want to teach everyone I know how to knit. I was really excited to learn to knit, as I fell in love with the yarns first. The plentitude of beautiful fiber out there will sway you, it’s guaranteed.
Some benefits of knitting:
1. Knitting is meditative, calming, and stress free- once you get the basics down.
2. Knitting can be done anywhere. I earned my B.S. in Biology from the University of Michigan, and if you ask anyone who knows me, I knit during lectures, riding in the car on long road trips, while I was studying, in the dentist’s chair….. literally anywhere. No worries about hauling huge supply suitcases- just two sticks and some yarn, and you’re ready to take your art project with you anywhere!
3. Knitting is VERY EASY. There are only two stitches to learn, and then you can knit anything under the sun. Everyone I teach is always shocked at how easy it is to knit.
4. Knitting is FUN.
5. Knitting has been passed down from generation to generation, and is one of the oldest textile based art forms in the world. Think of the Irish Aran sweaters used to identify sailors washed up on shore. Crazy history behind this art form, and you’re about to become part of that history!
The first basic is casting on. Learning how to knit begins with a simple slipknot and this step of getting the stitches ON the needle before you can jump in and begin knitting. So watch with me, pause as you go, and get busy!
Let’s Knit!
♥Rose

3 comments: