Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Adventures in Cashmere...

Okay, so every girl dreams of a beautiful cashmere sweater to call her own.  I have at least 20.  Jealous?  Don't be.  Get your butt over to your local thrift store and dig.  I've been going through and collecting them for about a year now, and I've gotten enough to make any diva feel pampered.  For around $3 each.

Here's the problem.  As a crafter, a person who knows the joy of gifting wonderful handmade creations, as well as a knitter who knows the warmth natural fibers can give- I want to give them away.  But then you run into size issues.  And the whole sticky issue of gifting something that is used.  People just don't seem to want a used sweater.  So I came up with a solution.  As difficult as it was, I cut them up.

*gasp*  Ruined cashmere?  What are you thinking?  Why would you defile a beautiful orange cashmere tee?


For this:




Because what girl wouldn't want a 100% cashmere blanket bound by a beautiful vintage sheet to warm her up in those freezing January days?  
This was my second attempt to make a gift.  The first one, in my favorite color combo of greens, neutrals, and pinks ended up camped out on my recliner.  My excuse is the loose binding job I did on my first attempt at backing a quilt.  Nobody wanted it, I'm sure.  I mean- I didn't ask or anything, but I'm pretty sure this needed to stay out of sight.  And warming up my legs...



I couldn't help it.  It kept me warm while knitting or hand stitching.  My door is drafty.  Forgive me intended giftee, but I needed that cashmere lap blanket.  Sometimes I just sit and pet it.  Real Housewives of Orange County, eat your hearts out. 

ETA:  I got the idea from Betz White's book Sewing Green

2 comments: